ARC President warns students of ‘outside group’ planning protest at ARC

John Edgar, a member of the anti-abortion activist group Project Truth, stands in front of one of the group’s signs posted by its set up near the Student Center. Project Truth visits college campuses among other venues across the country to spread its message. (File Photo)

According to a campus-wide email sent out by American River College President Thomas Greene, an “outside group” calling itself Project Truth will be on school grounds as part of an anti-abortion demonstration March 5 and 6.

According to the group’s event page on All Events: “Project Truth will be challenging students to consider the ‘humanity’ of the unborn fetus and the ‘inhumanity’ of abortion.”

Greene’s email said that the group may possibly offend or trigger students with its demonstration.

“As a public institution, American River College has a responsibility to provide a space for constitutionally protected free speech, irrespective of the beliefs expressed in that speech.”

-American River College President Thomas Greene

They might be displaying images that are offensive to some or engaging in speech that is offensive to some,” Greene said in the email.

Greene’s email added that the Los Rios Police Department will be maintaining a peaceful perimeter around the demonstrators.

“The college will monitor the immediate environment in collaboration with the Los Rios Police Department to ensure peaceful demonstrations and that college operations are not disrupted,” Greene said.

Greene’s email closes by telling students that they may voice their concerns to administration about the group, but that the college administration is legally obligated to allow the group onto campus.

“As a public institution, American River College has a responsibility to provide a space for constitutionally protected free speech, irrespective of the beliefs expressed in that speech,” Greene wrote in the email. “If someone is negatively impacted by the speech on campus, please reach out to the Counseling Center for assistance.”

Scott Crow, ARC’s public information officer, said that the group has visited the campus in the past and that the reason for the campus-wide email was to give students proper notice.

This group regularly visits colleges like ARC. The Current has covered them on past visits,” Crow said. “We just feel our campus community should have advance notice.”