Tanner Trosin, Quarterback for American River College’s football team, looks for an open receiver during ARC’s first home game.

New head coach has his team on the right path

Ed Gebing, Managing Editior
September 9, 2014  

Tanner Trosin and his five touchdowns helped lead the American River College football team to their first win of the season against Modesto Junior College, 37-27. Trosin had two rushing and three passing touchdowns started the season the same way his brother, former ARC slot receiver Tyler,... Read More

The Women’s Volleyball team celebrate after a successfully rallied and scored against the opposing team.

Bump, Set, Spike, Win: Volleyball team opens season with lots of new faces

Ed Gebing, Ad Manager and co-Managing Editor
September 6, 2014  

After finishing last season coming up short in the State tournament, the American River College volleyball team served up a win at home against City College of San Francisco, 3-0 (24-14, 25-22, 25-20) in their season opener. “It feels good, we have been practicing hard,” sophomore libero... Read More

WEB_6146

Spring sports programs close out seasons

Ed Gebing, Co-Editor-In-Chief
May 9, 2014  

Many of the American River College spring sports teams are wrapping up their seasons with some making their way to the playoffs. Others are sadly packing it in until next season. The men’s baseball team lost its final home game of the season with a disappointing 11-0 loss to Diablo Valley... Read More

Next court date set for Subway rape suspect

Ed Gebing, Editor-In-Chief
April 22, 2014  

At the most recent arraignment hearing for rape suspect Kenneth Anderson, who is accused of violently beating and raping his Subway co-worker, he talked briefly with his criminal defense lawyer Linda Parisi, before she asked the judge for more time. During his most recent appearance Anderson... Read More

Omba Kipuke is running for the position of Los Rios Student Trustee.

Students get to know ASB and Student Trustee candidates at the forums

Ed Gebing, Co-Editor-In-Chief
April 9, 2014  

Elections for the Associated Student Body student leaders and Student Trustee are underway. Students can vote until 11:30 p.m. through their eServices account. At the forums held April 1-2 in the student center, the candidates were able present their platforms and answer student questions. The... Read More

Photo.ashx

Court date set for suspect in the sexual assault incident at a Subway

Ed Gebing, Co-Editor-In-Chief
April 8, 2014  

At an appearance earlier today in the Sacramento County Main Jail, Subway rape suspect Kenneth Anderson’s court stay was brief. Anderson was brought into court and talked to a representative from his lawyer’s office who asked for the court date to be moved to April 22. The court granted... Read More

Student journalists from the Current receive several awards at statewide convention

Ed Gebing, Co-Editor-In-Chief
April 7, 2014  

The American River Current is proud to recognize the achievements of its talented and hard-working student journalists, who achieved recognition at the statewide convention of community college student journalists April 3-6 in Burbank, Calif. Jeff Gonzales, former editor-in-chief of the Current... Read More

Photo.ashx

Subway rape suspect arraigned in superior court

Ed Gebing, Co-Editor-In-Chief
April 1, 2014  

Kenneth Anderson was arraigned on three felony charges at the Lorenzo Patino Hall of Justice in Sacramento stemming from the brutal early morning attack of his co-worker at a Subway restaurant on March 25. Anderson was being held on $1 million bail after his arrest on March 27. His bail amount... Read More

Breaking-News

Subway rape suspect confirmed not to be linked to the I-80 serial rapist

Ed Gebing, Co-Editor-In-Chief
March 31, 2014  

The Sacramento County Sheriffs department has released information regarding the recent arrest of Kenneth Chandler Anderson, which occurred last Friday. There were earlier claims that the resemblance between Anderson and the sketches of the serial rapist were strikingly similar according to... Read More

SPORTS UPDATE

Coaching vacancies are filled for ARC football

Ed Gebing, Co-Editor-In-Chief
March 26, 2014  

The American River College football team recently hired two new coaches and promoted another to take over the various vacancies that were left open by the promotion of offensive coordinator and offensive line coach Jon Osterhout to interim head coach. Osterhout was named interim head coach... Read More

IMG_4694workedweb

Deadline looms for uninsured to sign up for coverage

Ed Gebing, Co-Editor-in-Chief
March 26, 2014  

The deadline to enroll for Covered California, the state’s health benefit exchange, is March 31 and American River College students can get more information and get help enrolling from the representatives that will be on campus Wednesday and Thursday. People will be available to answer questions... Read More

American river current co-editor-in-chief Ed Gebing works on his sign for the March in March rally.

Editor-in-Chief puts down his pen to lobby for students

Ed Gebing, Co-Editor-In-Chief
March 14, 2014  

While I carried a sign at the March in March, ARC Associated Student Body Student Senate President Kenneth Hinton carried his cellphone. Hinton had said that the main focus of the march, was to lobby the state legislature, for textbook affordability. On Feb. 4, 27 – days before the march... Read More

One of the outdoor play areas for the children features toys and tricycles for them to play with while being cared for.

Campus Child Development Center provides care, enrichment for students’ children

Ed Gebing, Sports Editor
December 11, 2013  

Many parents who take classes here at American River College have used the care providers at the Child Development Center to help keep an eye on their children while they attend class. The Child Development Center is open Monday–Friday from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m., and parents need to have their... Read More

Freshman Alex Powell shoots from the three-point line during the Beaver Classic in a game against Yuba College on Friday, Nov. 15.

Sports Briefs 12-02-13

Ed Gebing, Sports Editor
December 2, 2013  

Water Polo – The women won the Big 8 Conference and finished the season with a 22-10 record. The women lost in the State Tournament to Riverside City College by a score of 2-10. Volleyball – For the first time ever the women won the Big 8 Conference. They are currently in the third... Read More

1371364_10200702330268046_78751387_n

Football season ends on sour note

Ed Gebing, Sports Editor
November 19, 2013  

The American River College football team played its season finale this past weekend against division rival Sierra College. ARC was coming off a win the previous week against College of the Sequoias and with only one loss this season the team was looking at securing a birth in the Northern California... Read More

A change in tide implements a shift in tactics

Ed Gebing, Sports Editor
November 15, 2013  

The American River College men’s water polo team has started off the season with a 9-5 record and is currently 4-0 against other members in the Big 8 Conference. Returning six players from last year’s team, the men are led by sophomore’s, goalie Sam Anderson and utility player Patrick... Read More

Quarterback Mike Hicks scored five touchdowns for the Beavers in a game against San Joaquin Delta College on Saturday, Oct. 19.

ARC football stays undefeated

Ed Gebing, Sports Editor
October 19, 2013  

Coming off their bye week, the American River College football team led by quarterback Mike Hicks and his five touchdowns, beat division opponent San Joaquin Delta College 50-27 to remain undefeated at 6-0. “We had a slow start, but we picked it up in the second quarter,” Hicks said. The... Read More

IMG_9887_Web2

American River College’s flipping phenom

Ed Gebing, Sports Editor
October 16, 2013  

While watching the women’s soccer match fans notice as the ball rolls out of bounds and head coach Paul Arellanes gets up and yells “Jazzmin!”  It sounds as though he might be yelling for a substitution, until a woman goes running to the ball on the sideline and disappears behind the... Read More

One game at a time

Ed Gebing, Sports Editor
October 10, 2013  

After giving up two first-half goals to sophomore Bear Cubs defender Christina Rebata, the American River College women’s soccer team lost to conference foe Santa Rosa Junior College 3-0 Wednesday. The team was playing without freshman Jazzmin Hancock who sat out due to a red card in the... Read More

IMG_5432_Web

Frustrations Boil Over

Ed Gebing, Sports Editor
October 6, 2013  

Despite playing a physical game, the American River College women’s soccer team came up short against visiting Sierra Junior College in a 2-0 loss Friday. The Wolverines were led by two second-half goals from sophomore forwards Meghan Martell and Carissa Schlesinger. The game was physical... Read More

IMGAG06

Local legend relieved of coaching duties by The Reds

Ed Gebing, Sports Editor
October 4, 2013  

Former American River College baseball player, Major League Baseball coach Dusty Baker was released from his managerial duties by the Cincinnati Reds after losing to the Pittsburgh Pirates in the National League wild-card game. Baker had coached the Reds since the 2008 season. During his time... Read More

Broken but not bowed

Ed Gebing, Sports Editor
October 1, 2013  

ARC women’s water polo goalie Avery Dotterer attempts to block a shot against Golden West College in the River Rage Tournament on Sept 13. Fast swimming and hard work keep women’s water polo team on path to victory The American River College women’s water polo team has played short-handed... Read More

Softball hosts alumni game to prepare for the upcoming season

Ed Gebing, Sports Editor
September 28, 2013  

Behind the leadership of returning players the American River College women’s softball team, who finished last season with a 25-13 record, got back into the swing of things taking on former players in an exhibition game on Sept. 26. The game was more for fun with no official score being kept... Read More

Current staff take home awards at community college journalism conference

Ed Gebing, Sports Editor
September 25, 2013  

The Northern California chapter of the Journalistic Association of Community Colleges (JACC) met for its annual convention Saturday at Sacramento State University. Several junior colleges took part in the event that featured on-the-spot competitions as well as submissions from last semester. American... Read More

IMAG0594-1-1-1

Women’s soccer defense steps up but loses 1-0 versus Solano Community College

Ed Gebing, Sports Editor
September 18, 2013  

With four games scheduled in the next 10 days the American River College women’s soccer team looks to bounce back from a 1-0 loss suffered at the feet of Solano Community College, Sept. 17. The Beavers started the game off with the ball, but would watch as the Falcon’s sophomore forward... Read More

IMG_0322_Web

ARC football pursues championship their second year in Valley Conference

Ed Gebing, Sports Editor
September 17, 2013  

The first year playing in the Valley Conference, American River College won the division title but ended their season against City College of San Francisco in the Northern California Community College Championship game with a 41-36 loss. CCSF went on to play for the California Community College... Read More

IMG_5232a

A spot of their own

Ed Gebing, Sports Editor
September 17, 2013  

This story was written by Ed Gebing and Jessica Maynard. Due to the limitations of our platform, it is published multiple times under a joint, and two individual bylines. You’re running late for your 9 a.m. class when you find what you believe to be an empty parking spot, but, when you go... Read More

Wide Receiver Tyler Trosin sophomore, makes an impressive catch from quarterback Mike Hicks in the end zone against Sacramento City College on Saturday, Sept 14. Trosin scored three touchdowns for the Beavers. ARC won 34-7..

American River College’s offense explodes versus rival Sacramento City College

Ed Gebing, Sports Editor
September 15, 2013  

American River College (1-0) hosted their home opener Sept. 14 at 1 p.m. versus longtime rival Sacramento City College (1-0).  The Panthers jumped out to an early 7-0 lead over the Beavers. ARC would rally and go on to score 34 unanswered points, the team would hold on to defeat the Panthers... Read More

IMG_0169_WebBanner

Tough loss for women’s water polo

Ed Gebing, Sports Editor
September 12, 2013  

The American River College women’s water polo team played host to the three-time state champion Golden West College from Huntington Beach, on Thursday Sept. 12.  The Beavers were coming off a close 8-7 win in their season opener versus Orange Coast on Sept. 6.  This match was a warm-up... Read More

Lodi golfer brings new meaning to the term ‘one long drive’

Ed Gebing, Staff Writer
April 24, 2013  

Imagine yourself having to get up early in the morning, before most peoples’ coffee has even started brewing.  After eating breakfast, you make a stop at the gas station to fill up your tank before you hit the road. American River College freshman Colten Passey starts his day off at 5:40... Read More

DSC_0454_Web

Fresh Mexican food just steps away from ARC

Ed Gebing, Staff Photographer and Writer
April 15, 2013  

Xochimilco offers an alternative to food choices on campus How many people have parked their cars at the 99 Cents Only Store to walk to class simply to avoid the parking situation? Or how many students have passed by the intersection of Auburn Boulevard and College Oak Drive? If you have, then... Read More

Women’s Softball coach Lisa Delgado (center) and a few of her student athletes in the gym for a rainy day practice on Wednesday, March 20, 2013.

California junior college coaches at a disadvantage

Ed Gebing, Staff Writer
April 3, 2013  

Coaches face many different types of adversity including the pressure to win, gain recognition and recruit star athletes. When it comes to coaching at a community college there are many obstacles coaches face.  These challenges include a lack of funding, not being able to offer scholarships... Read More

Freshman Colton Passey teeing off at Teal Bend Golf Course in Sacramento on March 9. Passey went on to finish the match shooting an 80.

Men’s golf team struggles continue

Ed Gebing, Staff Writer and Photographer
March 13, 2013  

The men’s golf team’s struggles continue as they teed themselves into a sixth place finish during the Big 8 tournament #3. The American River College Men’s Golf team played host to the Big 8 tournament #3 at their home course of Teal Bend on a windy March 5 where the men’s team placed... Read More

Giselle Jiminez, No. 22 on ARC’s Softball team leads the state in batting average, homeruns and RBI’s.

Hitting comes naturally to Jimenez

Ed Gebing, Staff Writer
March 13, 2013  

Stepping into the batter’s box, the softball player evens out the dirt and covers some of the front line to edge closer to the pitcher, who stares in at the catcher to get the sign. The pitcher shakes off a few signs, then decides. In comes the pitch, she swings and connects with the ball,... Read More

ARC women’s tennis team loses to division rival Santa Rosa Junior College

Ed Gebing, Staff Writer
March 13, 2013  

The American River women’s tennis team played host to divisional foe Santa Rosa on Friday, March 1. The women lost the match 6-1. The match got on the way with doubles. The American River No. 1 team, featuring Nicole Fleischmann and Jessica Patterson, lost to Megan Schneider and Erin Leveroni... Read More

Hitting woes come into focus after defeat

March 12, 2013  

The American River College softball team has been shut out in the past two games. Lack of consistency in the hitting rotation led to their loss against division rival Sacramento City College March 12. The American River College women’s softball team (15-4) played host to arch rival Sacramento... Read More

March 12, 2013  

Sophomore Alexa Browner competing during the 100-meter dash at the Beaver Relays March 11. Browner went on to take first in the event.

American River women claim success during the Beaver Relays

March 12, 2013  

On March 1 and 2, ARC hosted the 26th annual Beaver Relays. The women’s track and field team finished the event with four wins in the 23 event field. The ladies placed highly in several other events. The relays included 17 schools, such as Laney College, Shasta College, Modesto Junior College,... Read More

Eunique Hopkins, freshman guard for American River who’s been playing basketball since she was nine, now leads the state of California in steals per game with 5.5.

Hands of steal

Ed Gebing, Staff Writer
February 27, 2013  

Freshman guard Eunique Hopkins is setting history by leading the state of California in steals, averaging 5.5 per game  The opposing team has just inbounded the basketball and is trying to take time off the clock. They are slowly dribbling the ball across the court, trying to set up their... Read More

Sophomores Chad Haysbert (left) and Mardell Thompson currently serve as co-captains of the Beavers basketball team this season. Through 19 games thus far, both currently share the lead for average points per game.

Sophomore co-captains are the ultimate package

Ed Gebing, Staff Writer
February 13, 2013  

Mardell Thompson and Chad Haysbert are leading the surging Beavers into the playoffs.     The sophomore basketball captains, Mardell Thompson and Chad Haysbert, have led the American River College men’s team through adversity this season.  The team’s chemistry has been affected by injuries... Read More

Womens_MG_0973_resized

Heartbreaking loss sends Beavers to eighth straight loss

Ed Gebing, Staff Writer
February 10, 2013  

The American River College Women’s Basketball team came close to breaking their losing streak in a squeaker against division rival Cosumnes River College on Friday, Feb. 8. On the Beavers’ home court, CRC hung on to win 70-69, leaving ARC with an overall record of 7-16. The last time the... Read More