CoverTeaser

ASB Director of Finance Jorge Riley: Profile of a Controversial Candidate

Tracy Johnson Novak, Staff Writer
May 8, 2013  

Amidst protests and controversy, newly elected Associated Student Body Director of Finance, Jorge Riley, tells The Current about his personal struggles and goals for ASB. “Just look for the Native American in the suit,” said Jorge Riley, newly elected Associated Student Body Director of... Read More

IMG_4825_Cropped_lighting

Barista serves up coffee and compliments

Tracy Johnson Novak, Staff Writer
April 24, 2013  

A stand out at Starbucks, a Ukrainian Barista is a sight to see. With all the faces on campus it’s always difficult to find someone that stands out. Most of us go through the day without so much as a second glance at any of the other people here except for a campus Starbucks employee. Alla... Read More

New Student Trustee Elected in Special Election

Tracy Johnson Novak, Staff Writer
March 13, 2013  

Less than .01 percent of students voted in a special election to replace recalled former Student Trustee. In another widely under-attended election, Keith “KC” Kimber, from Sacramento City College, was elected as the new Student Trustee in a special election to replace former Student Trustee... Read More

Journalism reserves stolen from library

Tracy Johnson Novak, Staff Writer
February 27, 2013  

Professors provide replacement books for stolen library reserve copies. Within the first two weeks of this spring semester, at least two books went missing from the circulation desk, leaving many students without the option of reading their class textbook on reserve. “I’ve been putting... Read More

I need a Facebook vacation

Tracy Johnson Novak, Staff Writer
February 27, 2013  

Absence of social media makes the heart grow fonder I need a vacation. Not a weekend get-away, where you sleep in, see where the day takes you, and return refreshed and ready to tackle the next few months. I need a Facebook vacation. Some people need a cup of coffee (or five) to get through... Read More

IMG_1660_EditedMugshotForScrollbox1

Women in combat

Tracy Johnson Novak, Staff Writer
February 13, 2013  

Lifted ban on combat roles stirs controversy among female veterans on campus On Jan. 24, 2013, Defense Secretary Leon Panetta lifted the ban on women serving in direct ground combat roles in the military as part of a plan to “eliminate all unnecessary gender barriers to service,” according... Read More

GunsOnCampus

Guns rights conversation comes to ARC

Tracy Johnson Novak, Staff Writer
February 13, 2013  

National argument poses questions about campus gun policy With the federal policies and regulations regarding guns on the nation’s mind, there is talk about arming teachers on school campuses. While considered mostly for kindergarten through high schools, colleges and universities are no... Read More