UnnecessaryRoughness_ColumnHead

The NFL: the new opiate of the masses.

Sergio Portela, Managing Editor
May 8, 2013  

The 2013 NFL Draft took place from Thursday, April 25, to Saturday, April 27,and I watched every minute of it. It could be viewed on two stations, ESPN and NFL Network, and I recorded one and watched the other. I think it’s safe to say that I may have a problem and I might need some help. Why... Read More

Dr. Viar, Viar, President, Beaver statue

ARC President, Dr. Viar, named superintendent of Glendale Community College District

Sergio Portela, Managing Editor
May 8, 2013  

Dr. Viar reflects on success and challenges at ARC and what he plans to do at his new job in Southern Calif.  American River College President Dr. David Viar has been named superintendent/president at Glendale Community College district in Glendale, Calif., effective July 1, 2013. Viar has... Read More

UnnecessaryRoughness_ColumnHead

Rules, they are a-changing

Sergio Portela, Managing Editor
April 24, 2013  

Football is a violent game that children, as young as five years old, are playing. Safety is crucial when such young kids participate in football. I don’t think safety regulations should start with the NFL players. NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has made some rule changes since becoming the... Read More

IMG_3281 Web

New magazine ‘The Gap-Toothed Madness’ now on stands

Sergio Portela, Managing Editor
April 3, 2013  

Student Richard Barnhart seeks to fulfill dream of publishing many forms of art It’s difficult to create something when you constantly put it aside. When you finally find someone to help you complete your goal it’s truly bliss. Richard Barnhart, English major at American River College,... Read More

UnnecessaryRoughness_ColumnHead

It’s time to come out

Sergio Portela, Managing Editor
April 3, 2013  

Gareth Thomas Welsh, a professional rugby player, and Justin Fashanu, a fútbol player, are the only two male athletes to come out as gay while playing their respective sport. Fashanu, who came out in 1990, committed suicide in 1998 after accusations of him sexually assaulting a 17-year-old... Read More

UnnecessaryRoughness_ColumnHead

Combine Complications

Sergio Portela, Managing Editor
March 13, 2013  

After watching the NFL scouting combine last week I thought to myself. “Why is this important?” Does a good 40 time show what kind of football player you are, or just that you’re a good athlete? Being athletic does not always translate to being a good NFL player; there have been players... Read More

UnnecessaryRoughness_ColumnHead

NCAA goes too far

Sergio Portela, Managing Editor
February 27, 2013  

The NCAA have overstepped their boundaries a few times in the past decade, but some of the most recent sanctions they have levied have been the harshest, while not having to do much with sports. Student athletes are not allowed to accept any money or any other benefits from anyone while under... Read More

UnnecessaryRoughness_ColumnHead

The media “catfishing” for a story

Sergio Portela, Managing Editor
February 13, 2013  

If you haven’t heard about the man who was runner up for the Heisman trophy, Manti Te’o has been hoaxed, or at least he says so. The story of the senior linebacker from Notre Dame, who lost his grandmother and, supposedly, his girlfriend, Lennay Kekua, six hours later, was heart broken... Read More

ARC Theatre’s ‘Domestic Crusaders’ tackles post-9/11 issues with humor and intensity

Sergio Portela, News Editor
December 1, 2012  

American River College Theatre’s production of “The Domestic Crusaders,” directed by Sam Williams and written by Wajahat Ali, is a hilarious and at times intense play as they get into issues of racism, feminism, terrorism and what is expected of the family in their community.  Although... Read More

In Our Heads- News Editor Sergio Portela

Sergio Portela, News Editor
November 21, 2012  

“The Walking Dead” (TV Show): I’m a little late, but I recently started watching this due to a friend’s recommendation and I’m glad I took it. The zombie apocalypse drama, based on the graphic novel of the same name by Robert Kirkman, follows the lives of Deputy Sheriff Rick Grimes... Read More

Bills supporting online textbooks signed into law

Sergio Portela, News Editor
October 24, 2012  

Gov. Jerry Brown signed Senate bills 1052 and 1053 into law on Sept. 27 in front of a group of college students. One of them was American River College Associated Student Body President Quierra Robey, who helped advocate the bill. “Honestly, it’s something I’m so proud of because it’s... Read More

California community colleges to adopt new enrollment priorities

Sergio Portela, News Editor
October 10, 2012  

California community college students who sustain good academic standards now have priority over students who are at or exceed 100 units. This comes after a unanimous vote by the California Community College Board of Governors to reward students who make progress towards their educational goals. If... Read More

Brice Harris named Chancellor of California Community College District

Sergio Portela, News Editor
September 27, 2012  

California Community Colleges Board of Governors named former Los Rios Community College District Chief Brice Harris as the 15th Chancellor of the California Community College District. Harris has come out of retirement to take the position after serving 16 years as the Los Rios Community College... Read More

HarrisonRandall

Death of student leaves legacy of friendship

Sergio Portela, News Editor
September 19, 2012  

ARC student Harison Long-Randall remembered for good deeds and positive attitude If a hero is a person admired for his brave deeds and noble qualities, then former American River College student Harison Long-Randall certainly proves that they exist. Many people know Long-Randall from the headlines... Read More

_0203

Tennis newbie brings calm confidence to the team

Sergio Portela, Staff Writer
April 18, 2012  

Oscar Figueroa, a 21-year-old sophomore, is the only returning player on last years American River College men’s tennis team and has become a main part of this year’s team and the (9-1) conference record. Most tennis players begin to play the sport at a young age and develop their game... Read More

Freshman Patrick Johnson and the Beavers beat Sierra College on Feb. 28.

Men’s tennis beats rival Sierra College

Sergio Portela, Staff Writer
March 7, 2012  

On Tuesday, Feb. 28 the American River College men’s tennis team defeated the Sierra College Wolverines at the ARC tennis courts. Andrew Amor and Nick Krebs defeated Sierra College’s Anton Sarachukou and Cameron McCallister (8-6) in a tight match. Sierra took advantage of the Beavers slow... Read More

Hands in the air. This is a ‘sneak up!’

Sergio Portela
February 22, 2012  

$250 sneakers are much more trouble that they are worth   As I wait in line for the Nike Air Foamposite One, a shoe made famous by former National Basketball Association all star Anfernee “Penny” Hardaway, I hear a remark yelled at a security guard. Nobody wants to own up to the comment.... Read More

Andrew_Amor_3RGB

Freshmen dominate tennis teams

Sergio Portela, Staff Writer
February 8, 2012  

The American River College men’s and women’s tennis teams look to rebuild with a group of young talented players this season. Men’s coach Bo Jabery-Madison has just one returning player from his top six last year. That player is number two in the line up, sophomore Oscar Figueroa, who... Read More