OnTheXO_ColumnHead

The welcomed chaos of dating

Mayra Sanchez, Opinion Editor
May 8, 2013  

Dating has been awkward, frustrating, and lonely at times, but it has also been fun, exciting, and new. I live for those moments of chaos, frantically searching through my room for my lost high heel shoe, while my date waits downstairs, or staying up late texting when I know I have class early... Read More

OnTheXO_ColumnHead

Being in a love triangle is overrated

Mayra Sanchez, Opinion Editor
April 24, 2013  

As if my life isn’t already complicated enough, I have somehow found myself in the middle of a love triangle. After dating a guy for a couple of months, and seriously considering settling down, my ex (as if he has some sort of “Mayra’s happy, let’s go mess it up” radar)... Read More

OnTheXO_ColumnHead

Maybe nice guys shouldn’t always finish last

Mayra Sanchez, Opinion Editor
April 3, 2013  

I recently went on a date with, what most would consider, a “nice guy.” He had been trying to take me out for a while, and after weeks of innocent flirting, I finally agreed to go out with him. He was sweet; one of those guys that always tucked his shirt in. The type my mother would just... Read More

OnTheXO_ColumnHead

No confidence man

Mayra Sanchez, Opinion Editor
March 13, 2013  

It can be hard to maintain a positive attitude about your body image when you look nothing like the girls on television, but nothing has ruined my self-esteem more than my first real boyfriend. I had always been a confident child growing up. I was the only girl amongst four strong-headed brothers,... Read More

OnTheXO_ColumnHead

How soon is too soon?

Mayra Sanchez, Opinion Editor
February 27, 2013  

We all have our own rules when it comes to dating. Mine include: no kissing on the first date, the man should always pay, and always meet in public. But when it comes to hooking up, how soon is too soon? In Steve Harvey’s book “Act Like a Woman, Think like a Man, ” he states that... Read More

OnTheXO_ColumnHead

Breaking up is hard to do

Mayra Sanchez, Scene Editor
February 13, 2013  

The first few weeks after a break up are tough. It’s been 1 month 15 days and 4 hours from my last break up. I knew we were better apart. But I couldn’t help feeling depressed at the thought of starting over or being without a Valentine again. I was a total mess and a textbook cliché.... Read More

mayracolumnhead_web

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the ‘L’ Bomb

Mayra Sanchez, Scene editor
December 5, 2012  

Time stops the first time you tell someone you love him or her. Eyes are locked, hearts are melting and somehow, “A Whole New World” is playing in the background. Yeah, that never happens. We all know telling someone you love them is one of scariest things a young heart can do. That doesn’t... Read More

life-of-pi

‘Life of Pi’ takes the cake with amazing 3D effects

Mayra Sanchez, Scene Editor
November 26, 2012  

Far from any Rudyard Kipling story, “Life of Pi” is a heart-warming film about a young boy named Pi who loses his family in a shipwreck. With little-to-no survival skills, Pi is left with only a few items to keep him alive. Lost at sea, he soon realizes he is not the only survivor. He is... Read More

mayracolumnhead_web

Four kinds of dates, four different headaches

Mayra Sanchez, Scene Editor
November 25, 2012  

The dating world can make any single girl want to commit to a nunnery. But every once in a while, when I meet an interesting guy, I’ll decide to leave the comfort of my sofa and go on a date. I’ll put on my fancy shoes and take an extra five minutes or so putting on my makeup, all in hopes... Read More

mayracolumnhead_web

Is age nothing but a number?

Mayra Sanchez, Scene Editor
November 7, 2012  

I’ve recently had a friend come to me with an unusual question. He was single, in his late 20s and had asked if it was okay to date someone younger – 10 years younger.   After I gave him my best silver fox joke, something about robbing the cradle, he told me that he had been getting... Read More

mayracolumnhead_web

Right love, wrong man

Mayra Sanchez, Scene editor
October 24, 2012  

I’ve always considered myself a risk taker, but recently I’ve discovered the daunting task of hopelessly trying to convince a man I’m worthy of a commitment. I’m a sucker for anything a little broken and, in fact, I prefer a bit of a challenge.   But I quickly grew tired of the circus... Read More

ZombieRun

Ready for the Zombie Apocalypse? Sacramento Zombie Run tests horror survival

Mayra Sanchez, Scene Editor
October 10, 2012  

You might think you’d know what to do if a mob of flesh eating zombies were attacking your town, but how can you really be sure? It’s finally time to test your survival skills. Sign up for the Sacramento Zombie 5k Run today and play the part of either a civilian or a mindless zombie. Not... Read More

mayracolumnhead_web

How girly is too girly?

Mayra Sanchez, Staff Writer
October 10, 2012  

Hello, my name is Mayra, and I am not a “girl’s girl.” It’s a decision I made long ago when I was repeatedly denied access to any of my brother’s hangouts. I spent most of my formative years trying to compete with the boys. From playing soccer to selling candy, I was constantly trying... Read More

mayracolumnhead_web

Looking for love in all the online spaces

Mayra Sanchez, Scene Editor
September 19, 2012  

October will mark my one-year anniversary with my single self. Between the poorly written texts I receive from empty headed men and my self-destructive ways, I’d rather listen to my mom’s iPod than hear another “how you doin’?” pick up line. Realizing I was a little past due for a... Read More

_2154

Take this class: Magic, Witchcraft, and Religion

Mayra Sanchez, Staff Writer
March 7, 2012  

Name of class: ANTH 330 – Magic, Witchcraft, and Religion Professor who teaches: Katrina Worley What semester is it offered? Spring/Fall What makes this class so interesting? No, you won’t learn how to make a voodoo doll of your ex or finally pull a coin out of your ear; there’s YouTube... Read More

A group of students violate proper library eitquette in ARC's computer lab.

Do you need a refresher on library etiquette?

Mayra Sanchez, Staff Writer
February 22, 2012  

ARC students often overlook these simple rules for being cool and keeping quiet. The library: a place where music and laughter go to die. There’s nothing exciting about it, yet it remains a hot spot for many students like 21-year-old Omar Lopez, “It’s the only place I can go where I can... Read More

Parking Dos and Dont’s

Mayra Sanchez, Staff Writer
February 8, 2012  

Driving around in circles looking for an available parking spot could feel a lot like playing musical chairs. Fueled by an obsessive amount of iced coffee, many students become racecar drivers busting U-turns and speeding to get an empty spot, leaving the less determined to frantically search... Read More