BatsonArchive

New Tide sprinter making own waves

Carlos Guerrero, Assistant Arts & Culture Editor
May 8, 2013  

Former standout athlete Diondre Batson holds the fastest 100-meter time this year after running a 10.06. University of Alabama junior sprinter Diondre Batson was the fastest man in the world this year, for about a week. “It was exciting,” Batson, the American River College record holder... Read More

QueCarlos_ColumnHead

El Futuro de California

May 8, 2013  

The future of California will be vastly different than what it is now, and I’m not talking about metallic, shiny buildings or flying cars. Those should have been here by now anyway. I’m talking about the color of California, or more specifically, the people. According to Califoniawatch.org,... Read More

QueCarlos_ColumnHead

Arizona: a non-Mexican zone

Carlos Guerrero, Assistant Arts and Culture Editor
April 3, 2013  

Arizona: where medical marijuana is legal, but Mexicans are not. It’s true, Arizona and Latinos haven’t had the best of relationships, as Arizona sees its southern neighbors in the same way Homer Simpson looks at Ned Flanders. Officials in Arizona have spent an awful lot of time and effort... Read More

QueCarlos_ColumnHead

Mexico: still not as bad as Taco Bell

Carlos Guerrero, Assistant Arts and Culture Editor and Distribution Editor
March 13, 2013  

Mexico has got a bad reputation. Don’t drink the water, be careful of the swine flu. Add the struggles of controlling the high levels of violent crime due to the country’s ongoing drug war and you’ve got a country not even Liam Neeson would come to save you in. Perception trumps reality,... Read More

QueCarlos_ColumnHead

Dios Mío, Let’s get a Latin Pope

Carlos Guerrero, Assistant Arts and Culture Editor, Distribution Editor
February 27, 2013  

Pope Benedict XVI gave up being pope for Lent. OK, maybe not, but when news broke that the pope would be retiring, it led everyone who heard the news to ask, “wait, popes can do that?” I thought it was a “for the rest of your life” type of job. Well, it isn’t. The pope announced that... Read More

_0557

Sacramento comedian shows off natural talents

February 27, 2013  

Sacramento comedian with ARC roots shows off natural talents. For a good comedian, the simple things we don’t think about often make for the best jokes. “I want to meet the one dad that has five very successful heterosexual sons, but is just really disappointed because he didn’t get the... Read More

here_we_buy

Here We Buy Night: more than just a game

Carlos Guerrero, Assistant A&C Editor, Distribution Editor
February 14, 2013  

If you were in the parking lot before the game you would have thought it was game 7 of the Western Conference finals. But the contest on Saturday February 9th featured a 17-win Sacramento Kings team and the 7th seeded Utah Jazz. With the news about the sale of the Kings, the filing of relocation... Read More

Puerto Rico tries to succeed while others try to secede

Carlos Guerrero, Web Editor
November 21, 2012  

Puerto Rico could become the 51st state of the United States, possibly leaving Guam and the Philippines to wonder, “Damn, that could have been us.” The U.S. hasn’t allowed a state to join since Hawaii. That’s almost 50 years of nobody getting in. It is necessary for two-thirds of the... Read More

To Gov. Mitt Romney: Being Latino won’t help you in the election

Carlos Guerrero, Web editor
October 24, 2012  

Sorry, Gov. Mitt Romney, but even if you were a Latino it wouldn’t help you win the election. On a private recording at a fundraiser dinner, Romney jokingly said that had his father been born to Mexican parents, “I’d have a better shot of winning this.” Unfortunately for Mitt,... Read More

Latino, Hispanic and the different flavors of Mexican-American terms

Carlos Guerrero, Staff Writer
October 10, 2012  

What do César Chavez, John Leguizamo and Bumblebee Man from The Simpsons have in common? You guessed it: they are all Latino, Hispanic or… one of those. Other options include Latino American, Mexican-American or the less popular and kind of offensive “brown people.” All the names are... Read More

When minorities become majorities

Carlos Guerrero, Web Editor
September 19, 2012  

Fact: Kids are being born less white these days. For the first time in U.S. history, babies of color outnumbered Caucasian newborns 50 to 49 percent, according to the U.S. Census Bureau. It’s the latest bit of evidence illustrating the shifting demographics in our country. One-time minorities... Read More

American River College sophomore sprinter Diondre Batson, center, crosses the finish line of the 100-meter race at the Stanford Invitational on April 6 in Palo Alto, Calif. Batson (10.27 seconds) set a school record in the race, and also set the school record in the 200-meter (20.53) on April 13 in Walnut, Calif.

ARC track star qualifies for Olympic Trials

Carlos Guerrero, Assistant Sports Editor
April 18, 2012  

American River College standout sprinter Diondre Batson won the 100 and 200- meter events at the Stanford Invitational. The meet was on the first weekend in April on the 6th and 7th. The Invitational was as important to the Beavers as any other meet, said head ARC track and field coach Rick... Read More

ARC’s NFL Draft Picks

Carlos Guerrero, Staff Writer
April 18, 2012  

People are starving and suffering through withdrawal pains with almost no NFL action in over two months. (Luck)ily to satisfy the fans passion and hunger the best part of the football offseason is here. The NFL Draft begins Thursday, April 26, 2012, and ends Saturday, April 28, 2012 in a three-day... Read More

ARC speedster Diondre Batson anchors the 4 x 100 meter relay team for the Beavers on March 3.

Beaver sprinter leading the pack

March 21, 2012  

Less than a second to the average person is nothing. For a track and field sprinter, it’s a lifetime. And that’s how close Diondre Batson, All-American sprinter for the American River College track and field team, is from the world record in the 100-meter dash. Batson began this season... Read More

The American River College track and field team running at practice on Feb. 15.

Track and field team rich in talent

February 22, 2012  

Sixty years. That’s how long it had been since the American River College track and field team won their first state title during last year’s championship run that included a sweep of conference, Nor Cal and state titles. “You go 60 years at this school, 60 years of track teams without... Read More

MG_9027

Five Former Beavers sign with FBS programs

February 8, 2012  

Following the first undefeated season in school history, the American River College football team had a busy offseason of accolades. Eighteen players have been offered scholarships with 12 accepting the offers and five players transferring to NCAA Football Bowl Subdivision schools, formally... Read More

soccer1

Soccer player Rico Brown manages the change from playing for top teams in Germany to ARC’s team

Carlos Guerrero, Staff Writer
November 17, 2011  

When you have a father in the military, moving around is to be expected. Originally from San Francisco, Rico Brown, a midfielder for the American River College men’s soccer team, moved to Germany with his parents when he was only two years old. The Browns spent 16 years there because of his... Read More

_8700

Fast food fall favorites

Carlos Guerrero, Staff Writer
November 9, 2011  

The holiday season is upon us and the fast food chains are gearing up and giving us a little pumpkin flavor twist on their best desserts. McDonalds features a new pumpkin pie, while Jack in the Box offers their annual pumpkin shake. Against the advice of Weight Watchers, I reviewed both of... Read More

Kevin Johnson

‘Thinking Big’ in a new arena plan

Carlos Guerrero, Staff Writer
September 28, 2011  

Time is running out and those in charge are moving slowly. On Sept. 8, Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson released a report on how to get the city a new arena. The “Nexus Plan,” created by Johnson and his “Think Big” committee, outlines how the city and the Sacramento Kings plan to fund... Read More

_6853

ARC women’s soccer’s secret weapon

Carlos Guerrero, Staff Writer
September 14, 2011  

Erika Jaramillo may be a pint-sized player, but she knows how to pack a punch out on the field. Being undersized could be discouraging to some people. To Erika Jaramillo, a sophomore on the American River College women’s soccer team, it’s an advantage to be underestimated. Born and raised... Read More