ARC men’s soccer team captain ready for four-year glory

Trevor Horn, Football writer
December 5, 2012  

After staring at Roseville High School, Tanner Roland got a chance to play soccer for Division II Fort Lewis College in southern Colorado. But after one season, he moved back to the Sacramento area and now readies himself for a second go-round at a four-year program after spending two seasons... Read More

IMG_7715_1

Controversial call ends Beavers season, title hopes

Trevor Horn, Senior Staff Writer
November 25, 2012  

Last second go-ahead touchdown negated by a holding call For the fourth time in the last five games, on the biggest stage and against the biggest opponent – it looked like American River College would pull out another stunning comeback victory. Down 34-17 at the half at City College of San... Read More

Touch down

Beavers trounce Sierra, win Valley Conference

Trevor Horn, Senior Staff Writer
November 11, 2012  

It was so close to being over for the American River College football team. In the past month, the team has overcome double-digit second-half deficits to be in the position they are in now – Valley Conference champions. With the best four quarter performance of the season, ARC defeated cross-town... Read More

A win against Sierra gives ARC Valley title

Trevor Horn, Senior Staff Writer
November 10, 2012  

Call them whatever you want, but these Beavers know drama. “We feel that we can come back and battle and never give up,” American River College freshman wide receiver J’Juan Muldrow said. Thanks in part to a two-game losing streak by San Joaquin Delta College—the lone Valley Conference... Read More

ARC track and field athletes accept scholarships to University of Alabama

Trevor Horn, Football Writer
November 5, 2012  

Two American River College track and field athletes have accepted full scholarship offers to the University of Alabama. Diondre Batson, who represented ARC in the 2012 U.S. Olympic Trials in the 200-meters, and Matt Airola, the state champion in the 1,500, will both compete for the Crimson... Read More

FootballRecap

Win gives ARC upper hand for conference title

Trevor Horn, Senior Staff Writer
November 3, 2012  

For the third straight week, American River College needed to overcome a second half double-digit deficit to keep the Beavers state title hopes alive. ARC beat College of Sequoias 31-27 on Saturday, Nov. 3 in Visalia to stay tied for first place and now have a season finale showdown with Sierra... Read More

For trevor

Beavers score 42 unanswered points in route to conference win

Trevor Horn, Senior Staff Writer
October 27, 2012  

Led by a three touchdown performance by backup quarterback Mike Hicks, American River College defeated Modesto Junior College 56-49 at Beaver Stadium on Saturday Oct. 27. With starting quarterback Jonathan Kodama in a walking boot with a foot injury, Hicks threw for one touchdown and ran for... Read More

_MG_8961

ARC players get second opportunity on football, life at four-year programs

Trevor Horn, Football writer
October 24, 2012  

Jerry Haflich loves to win. The 25-3 record the American River College football team has posted since 2010 proves it. But the number that really gets the head coach excited is 91. Since Haflich took over the program in 2007, that is the number of student-athletes he has sent to four-year programs... Read More

Career night for quarterback Kodama leads Beavers to upset road win

Trevor Horn, Senior Staff Writer
October 21, 2012  

FRESNO – When it mattered most, quarterback Jonathan Kodama played his best game for American River College. In the midst of a two-game losing streak-led by four touchdown passes by Kodama-the Beavers came from behind in the second half en route to a 31-21 road win over Fresno City College... Read More

10-13Football

Beavers’ shot at title grows longer

Trevor Horn, Senior Staff Writer
October 13, 2012  

The hope in the preseason was a shot at the state title. That goal wasn’t wavered after a 52-33 loss on Sept. 29 to No. 1 state-ranked City College of San Francisco two weeks ago. But now with a 31-14 loss to San Joaquin Delta College on the road on Saturday, Oct. 13—that lofty goal might... Read More

Beavers geared for first Valley Conference test on the road

Trevor Horn, Senior Staff Writer
October 13, 2012  

Dealing with a situation the program has not dealt with in two years, the American River College football team will play a game following a loss. On Sept. 29, ARC lost to No. 1 state-ranked City College of San Francisco 52-33 at home. The loss snapped a 22-game win streak for the Beavers (4-1... Read More

Football’s winning streak ends amid tragedy

Trevor Horn, Senior Staff Writer
October 10, 2012  

It was a distressing week for American River College football coach Jerry Halfich and his team. The football teams loss to City College of San Francisco ended their 22-game win streak, but defensive back Rozale Byrd, a key contributor as a freshman this season, lost two people in a shooting. After... Read More

FootballRecap

The streak is over as Beavers fall to SF City College Rams

Trevor Horn, Senior Staff Writer
September 29, 2012  

After nearly two calendar years since the American River College football team lost a game, the Beavers 22-game win streak finally came to an end. ARC lost 52-33 to reigning state and national champions City College of San Francisco on Sept. 29, ending the nation’s longest active win streak. “We... Read More

Recent south Sacramento shooting connected to ARC football player’s party

Trevor Horn, Senior Staff Writer
September 25, 2012  

(This article was updated on Oct. 2 to correct an error in an earlier version)  An early morning shooting in south Sacramento on Sept. 23 that resulted in the death of two men occurred across the street from a house party thrown by an American River College football player. Dijon Augustine... Read More

Late interception seals win No. 22 for the Beavers

Trevor Horn, Senior Staff Writer
September 22, 2012  

Win number 22 had it all for American River College. Attacked all afternoon by a high-energy Santa Rosa offense, the Beavers defense came up big late with an interception with just over a minute to play to hold on to a 42-28 victory on Saturday, Sept. 22. After the game, ARC head coach Jerry... Read More

Band of Brothers: ARC football team sports four sets of siblings

Trevor Horn, Senior writer
September 19, 2012  

The cliché may be that eight is enough. But for the undefeated and twelfth nationally ranked American River College football team, it’s just right. In a very rare instance, the Beavers have four sets of brothers all suiting up this year. They include the larger than life brothers from... Read More

Explosion near Raef Hall caused by large firecracker

Trevor Horn, Senior Staff Writer
September 17, 2012  

The loud, concussive boom that came from an American River College Automotive Collision Repair dumpster next to Raef Hall just before 3 p.m. on Monday, Sept. 17 was likely caused by a large firecracker, according to ARC police. “We got a call of an explosion in a dumpster,” Sergeant... Read More

Surgery for injured Beavers running back

Trevor Horn, Senior staff writer
September 11, 2012  

American River College freshman running back Jakori Ford will have full knee reconstructive surgery at UC Davis Medical Center on Sept. 11. Ford injured his knee during a celebration on the sideline after scoring a rushing touchdown in the first quarter on Friday, Sept. 7 against Sacramento... Read More

Down at half, Beavers come back, win streak at 20 games

Trevor Horn, Senior Staff Writer
September 8, 2012  

The 20th win might have been the hardest for American River College. On the night when Sacramento City College unveiled the new turf and amenities at the refurbished Hughes Stadium, the Beavers needed a strong second half to keep the win streak alive with a 38-23 victory over the Panthers on... Read More

Beavers demolish MPC behind record day for Booker

Trevor Horn, Senior Staff Writer
September 1, 2012  

Sophomore running back Devontae Booker knew going into this season he had a chance to do some special things for the American River College football team. And special it was. Very early, and very often. Booker carried the ball 19 times for 291 yards and a school-record five touchdowns as the... Read More

batson 1 meg

Men’s track repeats as NorCal champs, Batson sets personal record

Trevor Horn, Editor in Chief
May 14, 2012  

Wind aided or not, Diondre Batson put on a show. At what has been long considered to be an after thought event because of the high winds in San Mateo, Batson ran a personal best 10.10 seconds in the men’s 100 meter finals at the Northern California Community College Finals at College of San... Read More

_MG_9390 cropped

Record setting QB leaving ARC for FBS program

Trevor Horn, Editor in Chief
May 4, 2012  

American River College record-breaking quarterback Andy McAlindon is leaving school after just one season. McAlindon verbally accepted a scholarship offer from Louisiana Tech University on May 3. “It’s an opportunity that I can’t pass up,” McAlindon said. “It’s a goal when you come... Read More

Beavers repeat as Big 8 track champs

Trevor Horn, Editor in Chief
May 3, 2012  

Give an inch, beat ‘em by a mile. A slight twist on the old cliché was the theme in the Big 8 Conference Finals in track and field at Beaver Stadium on April 27. Highlighted by an impressive come-from-behind victory for the men’s 4×100 relay, the defending state champion American... Read More

An Editor’s exit letter

Trevor Horn, Editor in Chief
May 2, 2012  

A wonderful story emerged on the way to being Editor-in-Chief for this publication. Walking onto campus last August, I was not in a good place in my life. But a meet-and-greet with an advisor opened a door to me that I thought was dead and gone. I re-invented my career path and quickly I found... Read More

T&F Online

ARC hosts conference track and field trials

Trevor Horn, Editor-In-Chief
April 24, 2012  

Diondre Batson’s note to fans this week; “Come watch, it’s going to be a show.” The Olympic-qualifying sprinter, along with the rest of the American River College track and field team hosts the Big 8 Conference Trials and Finals at Beaver Stadium beginning Tuesday April 24 at 3:30 p.m.... Read More

_4049WEB_BF

No lack of confidence, talent for running back

Trevor Horn, Editor-in-Chief
April 18, 2012  

Devonte Booker has some seriously lofty goals, and so does American River College head football coach Jerry Halfich about his star running back. “A player like Devonte is going to change the perception of American River College football,” Halfich said. The Beavers are in the midst of spring... Read More

Football team signs 30 players

Trevor Horn, Editor-in-Chief
March 12, 2012  

Winning sure does have benefits. And the list of players filing into Raef Hall on March 10 to sign a letter of commitment to the football program at American River College showcased said benefits. Monster linemen, speedy receivers and a solid core of linebackers highlight a recruiting class... Read More

PTSD: America’s invisible disability

Trevor Horn, Editor-in-Chief
March 7, 2012  

Editor’s Note: This is the second part in a two-part series showcasing the growing awareness of post-traumatic stress disorder at American River College and with veterans returning from war. Anthony Stewart arrives at his classes early and finds a seat in the back of the classroom. Not because... Read More

Vet Services adds work study positions

Trevor Horn
February 22, 2012  

With a new all-time high in attendance of veteran-students on campus, American River College has hired four work-study students to help with enrollment services. With more than 800 veterans using some form of the Montgomery GI Bill on campus, administration was able to finalize paperwork to... Read More

Daniel Ayers' PTSD stems from years in the Marines.

PTSD: America’s invisible disability

Trevor Horn, Editor-in-Chief
February 22, 2012  

He is haunted by it everyday. “The boogeyman,” 33-year-old American River College student and former Marine infantryman Daniel Ayers said. “I am always worried (about) when that damn boogeyman is going to jump around the corner and take a shot at me.” Ayers, like every one in four United... Read More

FB_Cover_RGB_1131BF

The Beavers strived to achieve the perfect season

Trevor Horn, Sports Editor
November 30, 2011  

Never in American River College history had a football team finished 11-0. Well, until this season. Following an impressive 10-0 regular season, the Beavers beat Chabot College of Hayward in the Capital City Bowl 41-18 on Saturday, Nov. 19 at Beaver Stadium. “I wanted to get that 11th win... Read More

6322165409_7d7cecee58_b

ARC men’s team captures cross-country state title

Trevor Horn, Sports Editor
November 21, 2011  

The American River College men’s cross-country team won the California Community College Athletic Association Championship title on Saturday, Nov. 19 at Woodward Park in Fresno. It marks the second state title for the Beavers since 2005, and only the third for a Northern California team to... Read More

Beavers complete first 11-0 season in school history

Trevor Horn, Sports Editor
November 19, 2011  

It wasn’t a perfect performance by record-breaking freshman quarterback Andy McAlindon and the American River College offense. But it was damn near perfection for the Beavers defense and special teams. And that is good enough to for the coaching staff and players to scream out perfection. “We’re... Read More

football

Bowl preview: Defense, special teams key to Saturday’s game

Trevor Horn, Sports Editor
November 17, 2011  

American River College’s football team is on the verge of perfection. However, the biggest opponent of the season stands in the Beavers’ way. ARC hosts Chabot College on Saturday Nov. 19 at Beaver Stadium in the Capitol City Bowl at 2 p.m. The Beavers finished the regular season with a... Read More

Still perfect, ARC complete first 10-0 regular season since 2005

Trevor Horn, Sports Editor
November 12, 2011  

Instead of one finger left, it is now ten in the air. American River College football team defeated Sacramento City College 47-28 in the final regular season home game on Saturday, Nov. 12 at Beaver Stadium. The win gave the Beavers the first undefeated regular season since 2005 and the chance... Read More

Beavers looking to finish perfect

Trevor Horn, Sports Editor
November 11, 2011  

Just one more finger in the air. American River College head football coach Jerry Haflich has been holding up his fingers after each win over the last month to indicate to his players how many games left until the team reaches their “dream” of an undefeated regular season. If all goes as... Read More

VetSchoolMain

Operation Education: Veterans return to ARC

Trevor Horn, Sports Editor
November 9, 2011  

For many military members, it was an announcement that would forever change their lives. Standing at the podium in the White House pressroom on Oct. 20, President Barack Obama said that after nine years of war, all U.S. troops in Iraq would be removed by the end of the year. While a percentage... Read More

Beavers’ defense leads the team to a path of victory

Trevor Horn, Sports Editor
November 9, 2011  

Offense sells tickets. Defense wins championships. Luckily for American River College, this season, the team has both in spades. Flying very much under the radar, thanks to the second-ranked offense in the state, the Beavers’ defense has been just as dominant in 2011. Yielding just 15.0 points... Read More

1431-47_03-60Da

ARC dominate at home with 702-yard offensive performance

Trevor Horn, Sports Editor
October 30, 2011  

Despite a four-turnovers in the first half, the American River College football team dismantled Father River College 73-21 at Beaver Stadium Saturday Oct. 29. “I never thought we would get to 73,” Haflich said. “Without the four turnovers in the first half, it could have been a whole... Read More

_8525

Dusty Baker Golf Tournament raises money and awareness

Trevor Horn, Sports Editor
October 26, 2011  

Despite never playing a round of golf in his life, Dusty Baker has hit a hole-in-one with the American River College’s athletic department. On Friday, Oct. 21, ARC held the second annual Dusty Baker Golf Tournament at Turkey Creek Golf Course in Lincoln to raise money for the American River... Read More

With the launch of Google+, Facebook may finally have some competition

Trevor Horn, Sports Editor
October 26, 2011  

Still in its infancy stage, Google Plus, a social media site created by the search engine giant, is the new kid on the block. Since the site was launched on June 28, Google Plus has amassed over 40 million members after lifting the “invite-only” exclusivity to join the site. This may be... Read More

_MG_9245

Beavers overcome sloppy play, injuries in conference road win

Trevor Horn, Sports Editor
October 16, 2011  

WEED, Calif. — It wasn’t the cleanest performance, but American River College was able to open up their Mid-Empire Conference schedule with a 36-21 road win over College of the Siskiyous on Saturday, Oct.15. Behind a 104 yard rushing performance by Devonte Booker–the first... Read More

Beavers open conference play on road

Trevor Horn, Sports Editor
October 11, 2011  

American River College opens up Mid-Empire Conference play Saturday, Oct.15 at College of the Siskiyous after a torrid start to the 2011 season. Led offensively by freshman quarterback Andy McAlindon, the Beavers are second in the state of California with 49.4 points per game, while McAlindon... Read More

Beavers Frosh quarterback sets records

Trevor Horn, Sports Editor
October 8, 2011  

Behind a record-breaking performance by freshman quarterback Andy McAlindon, the American River College football team dominated Yuba City College 54-13 Saturday at Beaver Stadium.McAlindon threw for a school-record six touchdown passes versus the 49ers. The final touchdown pass with just over... Read More

Pg. 6 KlaytonAdams2011Spring3

Leading from the sidelines

Trevor Horn, Sports Editor
September 28, 2011  

American River College alum Klayton Adams has gone from an undersized center on the football team to an assistant coach at a Bowl Championship subdivision program in less than a decade. Adams played for the Beavers in 2001-2002, garnishing an all-conference nod as a sophomore. Last month, Adams... Read More