Taylor Swift’s ‘Red’ showcases Grammy-winner’s attempt to break from shell

Shelby Young, Social Media Director
October 27, 2012  

A soft face and a sweet voice, one of a Grammy winning singer and songwriter: this is the essence of Taylor Swift. Swift came out with her new album, “Red,” on Oct. 22, 2012. The album cover depicts Swift wearing a white shirt with a black fedora and bright red lipstick. In her music video... Read More

Jazz 310

Shelby Young, Social media director
September 19, 2012  

Today’s popular music blaring through the speakers, feet moving to the beat and bodies sliding across the wooden floors – Intermediate Jazz 310 is the class to take if you’re a dance freak or someone who enjoys watching “Dancing with the Stars.” Their motto is “we don’t steal,... Read More

_4363

Live action role play fights its way on campus

Shelby Young, Staff Writer
May 3, 2012  

Foam swords, fancy garb and medieval hierarchy. Live-action role play, also known as LARP, is a game where people get together and act out certain situations or scenarios while holding the position of a character. LARP started in the late 1970s and started to spread through the 1980s. Amtgard,... Read More

Game club connects students

Shelby Young, Staff Writer
May 3, 2012  

The Gaming Club or LAN (Local Area Network) Parties started when Andrew Preston, psychology major at American River College, brought his consoles to school with him. He sat down with his friends and decided to set up a place where they could all game on campus. Preston is in charge of bringing... Read More

American Pie invites you to its heartwarming “Reunion”

Shelby Young, Staff Writer
April 18, 2012  

Sweet crisp apple pie, band camp and crazy Stifler parties. “American Reunion” is the fourth installment in the “American Pie” series. Even though it isn’t the best of the four, it was still worth the many laughs shared among the audience. The movie starts with Jim and Michelle, showing... Read More

The actors in ARC's production of "Pride and Prejudice."

Theater Q&A: Tracy Shearer ‘Pride and Prejudice’

Shelby Young, Staff Writer
March 21, 2012  

A love story about two people who are blinded about their own misjudgments of each other. “Pride and Prejudice” is the next stage production at American River College. Director Tracy Shearer sat down with The Current for a brief talk about the upcoming play. Current: How is your adaptation... Read More

0003_2012_blooddrive_cl

American River College gives blood

Shelby Young, Staff Writer
March 8, 2012  

BloodSource put on the Blood Drive, held on March 6 and 7, on American River College campus. Three vans were set up near the tennis courts, where students could donate their blood. According to Lee Fairly, BloodSource volunteer, the blood drive is an event to get blood from volunteers for all... Read More

The manners on the bus are bad

Shelby Young, Staff Writer
March 7, 2012  

Most things in life require the use of manners and etiquette and yes, this includes riding the bus. People that use the public transportation system do some of the most annoying and rude things. Here are a few of the worst offenders. The Corner Creeper: The one who sits at the very back of... Read More

The first novel co-written by humarists Dave Barry and Alan Zweibel.

Shared ideas come alive

Shelby Young, Staff Writer
February 22, 2012  

Two Jewish men on a mission: Internationals terrorists? Perhaps. Dumb? Definitely not. Well, maybe one of them. Philip Horkman and Jeffrey Peckerman are two Jewish men from New Jersey who are accused of being international terrorists after a small soccer incident. Traveling all around the world,... Read More

Nickelback_HereandNow_DC

New Nickelback album worth the coin

Shelby Young, Staff Writer
November 30, 2011  

Nickelback, “Here and Now”, rocks it out yet again. Is it better than “Dark Horse?” Fans would say “Gotta Get Me Some.” Is “Here and Now” worth the buy? Most definitely. Why is it worth the buy? One, it has good messages. Even though there are some typical Nickelback tracks,... Read More

Fall brings us great weather, and great activities

Shelby Young, Staff Writer
November 9, 2011  

Fall is in the air. The leaves are changing from green to shades of red, orange, and yellow; the weather is becoming crisp and chilly; and how we spend our free time is different than what we do in summer. Sacramento- Take the underground tour of the city and discover the history of Old Sacramento.... Read More

Josh Clemens takes first prize in the state-wide contest

Shelby Young, Staff Writer
October 26, 2011  

Josh Clemens, photography major at American River College, won a photography award at the “College Seen” photo contest in August 2011. The contest, sponsored by the Foundation for California Community Colleges and the CollegeBuys purchasing program, tells the story of California’s community... Read More

Career Fair helps students get a foothold in working world

Shelby Young, Staff Writer
October 7, 2011  

Career Fair at American River College, held on Oct. 6 in the Liberal Arts breezeways, had 46 employers attending the event. Career Fair is held in order to help students search for jobs and get them into the working world. Representatives from the different companies come to campus to help... Read More

Transfer Day helps students decide their education future

Shelby Young, Staff Writer
October 5, 2011  

Nearly 50 institutions of higher learning came to American River College’s annual Transfer Day event on  Oct. 5, 2011 to help inform students about their choices for private, independent and out-of-state colleges and universities. Many students interviewed said that they found this event... Read More

0001-6891

ARC’s archery: Relaxing sport, lethal weapons

Shelby Young, Staff Writer
September 28, 2011  

He stepped up to the white line and drew his bow. He lined his arrow up with the target, aimed, and sent his arrow soaring through the air. Archery is about accuracy and is the art of working with bows and arrows, shooting targets and is considered a competitive Olympic sport. Bows and arrows... Read More

toilet

ARC women’s restrooms disgust students

Shelby Young, Staff Writer
September 28, 2011  

Women’s restrooms all across American River College’s campus have been said to be disgusting, unclean and generally not up to the typical standards of most women.  Many people probably wonder why these restrooms are so unpleasant and dirty. I have come to a conclusion: women are just as... Read More

students-get-bugged-out-in-horticulture-class

Students get ‘bugged out’ in Horticulture class

Shelby Young, Staff Writer
September 14, 2011  

Horticulture classes promise a fun experience and the gain of real-life skills Horticulture finds a stable position in today’s unstable job market and suddenly the major looks much more enticing to ARC students. Many crazy things have been seen on American River College’s campus and these... Read More