Summer Classes to keep you busy

Karen Thomas, Staff Writer
May 3, 2012  

For some, summer is the time to travel, visit friends and family, or to work. For others, it’s time to take required classes and get closer to their educational goals. At American River College, summer semester starts on June 11 and ends on August 10. “I’m taking music online (MUFHL 300)... Read More

Dean of athletics Jean Snuggs, who is set to retire in June, stands in her office on April 9 ub front of numerous photos of athletes from over the years.

Dean of athletics retiring after 30 years

Karen Thomas, Assistant News Editor
April 19, 2012  

More than 33 years ago, American River College needed a new assistant athletic director. Lyndell Wilken, who was moving to Oregon and leaving ARC, called Jean Snuggs to suggest Snuggs apply for the job. “They are really, really desperate — they might hire you,” Snuggs laughed as she... Read More

No smoking petition continues to collect signatures

Karen Thomas
February 22, 2012  

Most smokers may have already noticed the new “No Smoking” signs on the concrete planter benches between Davies Hall and the math lab. But one student continues to work tirelessly to make that message a campus-wide edict. In an effort to follow in the footsteps of Sierra College, which... Read More

Ten good things from the recession

Karen Thomas, Assistant News Editor
February 8, 2012  

The economic downturn has had a negative effect on nearly every American, and it doesn’t appear to be improving as of yet. Unemployment has stabilized at 10.9 percent in Sacramento County (according to www.edd.ca.gov), homes that once sheltered families are now bank-owned and abandoned, and... Read More

An artist's rendering of the view from College Oak Drive of the upcoming five-story student parking garage between Davies Hall and Beaver Stadium that will be complete in 2013.

ARC undergoing parking renovations

Karen Thomas, Assistant News Editor
February 8, 2012  

For the nearly 35,000 American River College students struggling to find parking in one of the 3,454 slots available for students, including motorcycle and disabled, there is some relief on the horizon. By April 2013, a 1,748-slot, multi-story car park will stand where the tennis courts are... Read More